The esteemed and compassionate physicians at Sparks Orthopedics & Sports Medicine are committed to providing patients the most comprehensive medical and surgical care in northeast Alabama.
Select the individual physicians‘ names below to see their qualifications and subspecialties.
Danny R. Sparks, M.D., Orthopedic Surgery
“It has been my great joy and privilege to care for thousands of patients in this area for more than 20 years. I live here, go to church here, raised my family here. and it’s always one of my greatest pleasures seeing one of my patients out in the community – pain-free and able to enjoy life again.”
Dr. Danny Sparks obtained his bachelor’s degree at Vanderbilt University in Nashville, Tennessee in 1971. He attended the University of Tennessee in Memphis, receiving his medical degree in 1976. Dr. Sparks then completed his internship at USAF Regional Hospital at Keesler Air Force Base in Biloxi,Mississippi in 1978.
He fulfilled his orthopedic residency requirements at the University of Mississippi in 1986. He is board certified by the American Board of Orthopedic Surgery and licensed in Alabama.
Daniel R. Sparks, M.D., Orthopedic Surgery
“Our doctors have more than a half century of combined experience in orthopedic medicine. This, coupled with our willingness to embrace the latest technological advancements in the field, allows us to provide our patients with the very best orthopedic care available enabling them to return fully and quickly to their active lifestyle.”
Dr. Daniel Sparks attended the University Of Alabama School Of Medicine in Birmingham where he completed his internship and received his medical degree in 1999. He completed his residency at UAB in orthopedic surgery in 2004. He is board certified with the American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery and licensed to practice in Alabama.
Dr. Sparks has special expertise in hip resurfacing as treatment for patients suffering with hip arthritis, hip dysplasia or avascular necrosis of the hip. He also specializes in MAKOplasty®, a new minimally invasive partial knee resurfacing procedure used to treat early to mid-stage osteoarthritis.
- 2004 — Present: The Orthopedic Centers
- 1999-2004 – Internship and Orthopedic Surgery Residency; University of Alabama Birmingham Hospital
- 1995-1999 University of Alabama School of Medicine — M.D. 1999
- 1992-1995 Auburn University
- 1991 Lee University
- 1990-1991 Birmingham Southern College
- 1996-1997 Volunteer, Physicians Who Care — Etowah County; Athletic preparticipating screening
- 1992-1995 Assistant Coach, Etowah Youth Soccer Association
- 1993-1994 Assistant Coach, Auburn-Opelika Youth Baseball Association Scrub Technician
- 2017 Varsity Soccer Coach Gadsden City High School
Active Staff Member
- Riverview Regional Medical Center
- Gadsden Regional Medical Center
- Jacksonville Medical Center
- Gadsden Healthsouth Surgical Center
- Healthsouth Rehab Hospital
- Stringfellow Memorial Hospital
Dierick R. Sparks, M.D., Orthopedic Surgery
“An orthopedic problem might not always be life-threatening, but it can certainly compromise a person’s quality of life. That’s what our practice is all about – getting our patients out of pain and back into the game of life as quickly as possible.”
Dr. Dierick Sparks received his bachelor’s degree from Auburn University, and then went on to earn his medical degree from the University of Alabama at Birminghamin 2001. He completed his internship at UAB and went on to specialize in orthopedic medicine and surgery completing an orthopedic residency in 2006. Dr. Sparks completed a fellowship in his subspecialty of sports medicine at St. Vincent’s Hospital in Birmingham in 2007.
Recently, Dr. Sparks was awarded a Sports Medicine fellowship by The American Medical Society for Sports Medicine. Dr. Sparks is board certified by the American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery and licensed to practice in Alabama.
- UAB School of Medicine – Birmingham, AL; June 1997 to May 2001
- MD degree
- GPA 3.84/4.0
- Auburn University – Auburn, AL; January 1994 to June 1997
- Bachelor of Science in Microbiology, June 1998
- GPA 3.85/4.0
- Cum Laude
- University of Stetson – Deland, FL; Aug 1993 to Dec 1993
- Member of Division 1 Soccer Team
Residency and Internship
UAB Department of Orthopaedic Surgery; Birmingham, AL; July 2001 to June 2006
Alabama Sports Medicine Institute; Birmingham, AL; Aug 2006 to July 2007
State of Alabama Board of Medical Examiners
License # 24950, January 2002
July /2009- Current
American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
Sports Medicine Subspecialty Certification
November 2011- Current
American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery Subspecialty Certification in Orthopaedic Sports Medicine
- Gadsden Regional Medical Center – Active Staff
- Riverview Regional Medical Center — Active Staff
- Gadsden Surgery Center – Active Staff
American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine Alabama Orthopaedic Association
- Jacksonville State University
- Gadsden City High School
- Coosa Christian School